Remember previous article we write about picture composition. Leading lines is one of the photography composition techniques for producing a good photo. Three tips below will guide photographer to understand more (Elements of Leading Lines, 4 Best Rules of Power of Leading Lines In Photography and How to Identify Leading Lines or Lines).
What is leading line in this picture?
Well, visitors are walking on the pathway and the pathway will lead your eyes straight to the temple is the “leading line”.
Leading Lines for a Better Composition
Beginner photography, I would suggest you keep the eyes sharp on the following places/elements that can be produced good image into leading lines.
To capture good line photography, “photographer has to move like a mosquito”. The mosquito has to move around the object for blood. The photographer has to move around the object like mosquito to find good composition or good lines to take a better photo.
Leading Lines is the first rule among other picture compositions. it is drawn the human eyes into the object in the photo along a line or lines—whether they are diagonal, curved, straight and other sharps that can be considered as lines.
Line photography is so powerful element that most professional photographers in the world practice. Leading Lines has the power to draw our eyes into the key focal points in a subject following a line or lines that comforts our feeling to see the subject that the photographer want to show.
Elements of Leading Lines
Shape of lines, all are impacted good photos differently or created different moods, so photographer should try to practice and they should know what kind of elements that we can recognize it is as lines and apply them as the rule of leading lines.
Photographer can change the camera angle or viewpoint following the majority of lines that the photographer choose to shoot whether vertical, diagonal, horizontal, and curved lines.
In this picture, the status are the “leading line” that lead your eyes straight to the gate of the temple.
4 Best Rules of Power of Leading Lines In Photography
- Vertical lines: It refers to convey a scene of power that can communicate a sense of strength, rigidity, and solidarity to the viewer such as skyscraper, top complex of the temple, and redwood forest.
- Horizontal lines: It can bring the human feeling to a relax moment when looking into the horizontal picture, see large space, and feel deep like horizons. It represents peace, tranquility, and quietness.
- Diagonal lines: It can be called converging lines. It represents an object in the picture in movement, action, and speed to create a sense of depth, dynamic action even when the subject is static or a feeling of infinite space like railroad tracks, and fences.
- Curved lines: It presents a mood of grace, soothing, smoothness, unhurried and dignity to a photograph like rivers, sand dunes, and country roads. The most common curved line is the S curve.
How to Identify Leading Lines or Lines
It is not difficult to identify places or scenes. The photographer will apply lines or leading lines rules to take for many good photos. It can be found the leading lines rules around the photographer, if the photographer notices. So the best thing is when the photographer sets up a shot, takes a moment to examine the scene for its prominent lines by making your feeling relax, calm, clear your mind following the nature around you and use your kenned eyes to spot the subject where mostly it is drawn your eyes to see the object clearly and easily for viewer’s attention.
We can apply leading lines or lines rules photography like in these places: roads, fences, boardwalks, bridges, bricks, anything in a row such as student walking in row, setting in classroom, lamp posts, buildings, doorways, window panes, rivers, shorelines, waves, sand dunes, trees, tall grass, cliffs, rocks, sun rays, shadow and so on.
Summary of the Best Leading Lines in Photography
- Leading lines is to lure the viewers’ eyes to look deeper into an important object in a picture.
- Photo Line is an extraordinarily powerful image that it is not only telling viewers where to look, but also what to feel.
- Good Line Photography can be an effective element of good compositions by illustration structure to a photograph.
- Line composition can unify composition by drawing the human’s eyes and attention to the main point of the photo or directing the eyes from one part of the picture to another.
- Lead line guides the viewers’ eyes to infinity, divide the picture, and create patterns.
- The human’s eyes tend to follow lines into the image or out of the picture regardless of whether they are simple linear elements such as a row of student walking home on the roads, fences, or more complex line elements, such as curves, shapes, tones, and colors.
- A good leading line is one that starts near the bottom corner of the scene and continues unbroken until it reaches the point of interest.
- Line photography is not only present in the shape of things but can be created by arranging several elements within the picture area so they form lines by their relationship with one another.
Leading Lines Photographer Should Know in Photography
A photographer should try to take photo as much as we can base on the available times. Try to change the angle of the camera to capture the images in vertical and horizontal to see how it looks. When the photographer could see the predominantly vertical lines use a vertical format and for picture in horizontal format when having predominantly horizontal lines. Again, this is NOT a rule. It is just a generally ideas of the former photographers recommend.
I hope this article will give readers some ideas and only keep practicing will bring you to the top in taking beautiful pictures. Any comments and constructive feedback, please feel free to drop in comments for improving photography skill together.
How to Use Shutter Speed in Photography
How to Find Best Time for Taking Beautiful Pictures in Photography
How to Use Aperture (f.) in Photography
How to Use ISO in Photography
How to Use Camera Modes Auto or Manual for Taking Beautiful Picture in Photography
How to Use Picture Composition in Photography
3 Best Tips of Leading Lines in Photography
2 Best Tips of Photo Frames in Photography
How to Use Power of Rule of Thirds in Photography
7 Tips for Deconstructing Photo Story
How to Use Power of Relationship Shot in Photography
6 Tips of Establishing Shot in Photography
Tips for Detail Shot in Photography
How to Take 3 Best Portraits Pictures in Photo Story
What Photographer Should Do Before Taking Pictures
How to Take Beautiful Picture of Person at Work in Photography
6 Tips That Photographer Should Know
Great photography is about depth of feeling, not depth of field–Peter Adams